Monday 27 April 2015

A London Lunch: Tom's Kitchen



This is a belated A London Lunch post and it was in fact a brunch, but on a Saturday or, in this case Sunday morning, the lines are incredibly blurred.

One of my best friends, Jenni turned 30 way back in July last year, whilst I was 7 months pregnant, and as well as a full afternoon of drinking which I was sadly unable to participate in, we started the day in style, brunching at Canary Wharf’s Tom’s Kitchen.

Tom’s Kitchen is part of the Tom Aitkens group and its’ style and ethos is around modern British comfort food in a laid back setting, which I’m happy to note it absolutely nails if our brunch is anything to go by.

The birthday girl had the Seasonal Berry Pancake which was absolutely huge – the classic American style and served with maple syrup. I had a try and it was delicious.

Our other friend, Larni opted for a cream cheese bagel which again, was enjoyed. I have to note, as regular readers may remember these two are my vegetarian friends so hence the lack of meat so far.

Personally I opted for the crisp Belgian waffle with seasonal berries and maple syrup and it was exquisite! It came with a quenelle of vanilla Chantilly cream and as an extra I ordered a portion of delicious smoky, crisp bacon on the side. I am of the camp that believes pretty much everything tastes better with bacon and this definitely did. The salty, smoky, savoury addition offset the sweetness perfectly – I love that combination of both, especially over brunch. The waffle was perfect too – fluffy and soft centred with a crisp exterior.  The ultimate brunch comfort food.

Tom’s Kitchen is definitely up there with one of my favourite brunch experiences in London – the only thing lacking for me was the chance to drink plenty of cocktails – there’s always next time.
Here’s some of my other favourite London brunch spots:

1.       The Modern Pantry, Clerkenwell
2.       Caravan, Exmouth Market

3.       The Albion, Shoreditch

Tom's Kitchen on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment