Wednesday 1 July 2015

Cheat's Courgette Carbonara

This is a lovely dish I created last week to fulfil my craving for pasta carbonara. I'm currently undertaking a self-titled '30daysfit' challenge, during which I'm aiming to shed some weight, up my fitness levels and cut down on some of the many naughty's in my current diet. Carbs are a real problem for me and I've cut down dramatically, but certain days call for a fix of what you love and this dish was born of that.

The 'pasta' is actually courgette ribbons, thinly sliced with a vegetable peeler and I think they resemble Italian 'pantacce' pasta. You could of course use 'courgetti' spiralised courgette if you prefer too and cook in the same way as below.

The sauce isn't authentic I'm afraid, but it delivers on the rich, creamy moreishness that one might associate with Carbonara.

The below makes just enough for one person and comes in at 319 calories so is perfect for most diets.



Here's how:

1 tbsp creme fraiche
1 rasher lean smoked bacon
50g mushrooms
1/3 of an onion
1 clove garlic
1 small courgette
10g Cheddar
Drizzle of oilvio or something similar
Salt & black pepper

Firstly use the vegetable peeler to create the courgette ribbons and set to one side till later.

Finely dice the onion and mince the garlic and add to a pan on a low heat with the drizzle of oil.

Chop the bacon into small pieces and once the onion and garlic are softened add to the pan and gently cook.

Slice the mushrooms and once the bacon is cooked through add these and the courgette to the pan - gently fry for a minute or two, this is all that you need.

Add the creme fraiche and stir with a wooden spoon adding seasoning as you combine everything.

Grate in the 10g cheese and then plate up and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment