Friday 23 May 2014

A couple of delicious things in 2014

If you've read the previous post, you'll know why there has been a six-month gap, I am with child. Excitingly due in September and the past few months have been a little manic to say the least. I have managed to eat several rather delicious things during this time and here is a little round up that never quite made it as full posts.

Insanely good beef ribs were had at Beard to Tail recently - in what felt like a woman versus food challenge due to the sheet size and deliciousness of the meat - little else was needed. Mocktails were good here also (I'm told also the cocktails!).



In March I headed to my favourite restaurant in Essex, Smiths for my friend Jemma's 30th birthday. Famed for their seafood and fresh fish they have an exceptionally good value set lunch menu - £26.50 for 3 courses and with quite a good selection too. I really enjoyed their version if rollmops - pickled herrings with pickled onions and vegetables, a little salad and a lemon crème fraiche to start. My main was their famed fish pie filled with beautifully cooled salmon, prawns, cod and a rich velvety creamy sauce and topped with buttery and perfectly crisped mash - divine. I completed my meal with roasted pineapple with coconut ice cream, a caramel sauce and some raspberries. As usual for Smiths, every course was delicious and the service was impeccable. 





On Mother's Day we headed out for fish and chips at the seaside (good old Southend) followed by a walk along the front and ice cream. Afterwards we headed back to my Mum's for a traditional 'high tea' that looked so beautiful I had to share. Our high tea included fresh prawns, brown shrimps, cockles, winkles, fresh crab meat sandwiches and a selection of homemade cake - always a winner. 




Last month I enjoyed a week in beautiful Kusadasi in Turkey with my friend Jade and on our last evening we enjoyed a fantastic seafood meze. Alongside all of the usual salads and vegetable dishes as well as fresh dips we enjoyed a whole cooked sea bream, crispy fresh calamari and a casserole of spicy, garlicy prawns that were to die for. Since I've been back I've been utterly obsessed with Mediterranean food! 



No comments:

Post a Comment